Today I got to spend all day bumming around town with my hubby. I love lazy days spent together!
Instead of our normal coffee at home we went to a local café to relax and start our day with a little pizazz. I love this café, they have such a great coffee menu that offers such a wide variety and it is low calorie and fat. After we finished our coffee and catching up with the daily news we went for a walk in the park nearby and enjoyed the beautiful fall colors and each other’s company.
We had a few errands to run after we left the park. My husband wanted to the hardware store to look at a new set of tools that were on sale. He is such a handy man and uses his equipment all the time so he really needed a new set. The set that was on sale was exactly what he was looking for, he was like a kid in a candy shop.
We also went to the grocery store where he insisted on having beef for dinner. I am not a huge fan of beef but I figured I could find a good healthy recipe in one of my cook books at home. He also wanted apple crisps for dessert. He thought it was “his day” to decide what to eat!
I ended up finding a really good recipe for Beef Stir-Fry and Avocado Salad, here is the recipe. I made it so that we will have left overs so this recipe can feed four.
• 12 oz. beef tenderloin, cutting strips
• ¼ cup fresh lime juice
• 1 tbsp. and ½ tsp. chili powder
• 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
• 1 medium onion, sliced
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped in slices
• 1 poblano pepper, sliced
• ½ tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. pepper
• 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 avocado, diced
• ¼ cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
• ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
• Tortillas to eat the stir fry with, or whatever you prefer
• Mix the beef, lime juice, and 1 tbsp. chili powder in a bowl and let marinate.
• In a large skillet heat the oil and sauté the onion, bell pepper, and poblano for about 5 minutes. Add the beef mixture to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, cook for about 5 more minutes.
• Combine the beans, avocado, cheese, cilantro, remaining chili powder, and a splash of lime juice in another bowl.
• Serve the beef stir fry on the tortillas and top with the avocado salad. I hope you enjoy it as much as my husband did!
Here is my recipe for apple crisps is so delicious and easy, I make them individual size so we don’t eat too much. This recipe makes 4 individual apple crisps.
• 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
• 1 tbsp. sugar
• 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
• ¾ cup rolled oats
• ¼ cup flour
• 2 tbsp. brown sugar
• 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
• ¼ tsp. salt
• 2 tbsp. melted butter
• 1 cup low-fat whipped cream
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
• In a bowl toss the apples with the sugar and lemon juice, separate into four oven safe bowls
• In another bowl mix the oat, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and butter together until it becomes a crumb-like texture. Sprinkle over the apples and bake for about 10 minutes, let cool, and top with whipped cream. Enjoy!
I hope you had as great of a Saturday as we did!
Until Next Time,