It is so easy to rush out the door on a busy day and forget about eating breakfast. My husband enjoys his sleep and somehow always seems to be rushing out the door without breakfast. I believe that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. It has always been one of my favorite but after doing some reading a while ago, I found out it really is one of the most important meals of the day. A healthy morning meal gives you energy to start your day, satisfy your appetite, and set you up for good food choices all day. Skipping breakfast can make you overeat later in the day, and nobody wants to do that.
I always make sure I have enough time for breakfast in the morning and try to make sure my husband does too. He even tells me when he has a good breakfast with carbs, fiber, and protein he feels better and is more productive. So breakfast should be a “no brainer” to him; but only if I make it.
This morning I made healthy eggs with salmon and asparagus and my husband couldn’t thank me enough. I thought I would share some of the easy, I mean really easy, breakfast ideas my husband and I love.
Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon and Asparagus
• ½ tbsp. butter
• 4 stalks asparagus, chopped into small pieces
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 4 eggs
• 1 tbsp. fat-free milk
• 2-4 oz. smoked salmon, chopped
• Heat the butter in large nonstick pan over medium heat. When the butter is melted add the asparagus and sauté until tender and season with salt and pepper.
• In a bowl, crack the eggs into a large bowl, season with salt and pepper, and whisk with milk. Add to the asparagus pan and turn the heat to low and cook the eggs until they become firm. Remove from heat and fold in the salmon.
• (My husband like to put it in a pita if he is taking it to go) or serve on a plate and enjoy!
Cheesy Mushroom Scramble
• 3 eggs
• ½ cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 1 oz. shredded mozzarella
• In a bowl, crack the eggs and whisk to break the yolks, add the mushrooms and cheese. Pour into a greased pan and scramble until firm. Enjoy!
• 4 egg whites
• 2 whole wheat tortillas
• ¼ cup fat-free cheese, your preference
• ¼ cup rinsed canned black beans
• Salsa to taste, or tomatoes and onions
• Scramble the egg whites in a greased frying pan. Place the cooked eggs in the tortillas, sprinkle the cheese over the eggs, heat beans if desired and sprinkle over eggs and cheese. Roll the tortilla into a wrap and microwave for about 30 seconds.
• Spoon salsa or tomatoes and onions to top, and enjoy!
Making breakfast doesn’t have to take hours or even more than 20 minutes. I believe that some good nutrition in the morning sets the platform for the entire day. With my crazy cravings, making sure I subconsciously eat a healthy and filling breakfast I know I will have a healthy day ahead.
How do you start your day with a healthy breakfast?
Until Next Time,