There are some mornings when I wake feeling like zombie; and today is most definitely one of those days. I don’t know why I feel so exhausted some mornings and be fine on others. I am trying to watch my consumption of coffee and limit myself to one cup a day, so I have been looking for other sources to “amp up” my energy and fight my tiredness.
I have found some yummy foods to keep me alert and awake when I hit the wall in the afternoon. There are many other food sources that can give you energy, here are a few I like and have started eating.
• Almonds make a great midday snack and will pick you up during a slump. They are full of vitamin E, magnesium, and contain lots of protein to sustain energy and make it last all day.
• I was not mad reading that dark chocolate can fight tiredness. 🙂 Chocolate contains caffeine that will ultimately boost your energy, obviously in moderation. I read that as a rule, the darker the chocolate the less sugar and more energy-boosting components it has.
• I am not a huge fan of really spicy foods, but spicy herbs can increase your metabolism and give you an energy boost. Spicy peppers can also aid in digestion too.
• Popcorn is not only high in fiber but is also an energy boosting snack. It is low in calories too; when I don’t smother it in butter… 😀
• Leafy green vegetables are full of iron and help keep concentration levels high. Iron from leafy greens promote red blood cell circulation and keep you alert and concentrated. Tiredness is really common when you aren’t getting enough iron, so eat away Popeye!
• Eating a breakfasts filled with whole grains will keep energy heightened all day. Although whole grains contain a lot of carbohydrates, they are complex carbs that provide a steady release of energy all day.
• Getting enough water is very important. I have been learning to love drinking water, but it is still hard. Eating watermelon is a good way to get water and have a delicious treat.
By making small changes in my eating patterns, I will be able to prevent my morning sleepiness and afternoon crashes. The best part of these tired fighters is they are healthy!
Until next time,