Well it’s about time to start getting the ingredients and preparing for Christmas dinner with the family. This Christmas we are having dinner at our house with my husband’s parents. I have been enjoying cooking lately, so I am actually very excited. Having the kids home and my husband’s family come for dinner is going to make for a wonderful Christmas.
I wanted to share what I am planning on making for Christmas Eve dinner. Most of these are new recipes or old ones that I put a little Nancy spice into. 🙂 It is going to be so delicious.
For a salad, Mixed Green Salad with Oranges-
• 2 tbsp. finely chopped shallot
• 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
• 2 tbsp. orange juice
• 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
• ½ tsp. sugar
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and Peper
• 1 head of romaine lettuce, in small pieces
• 1 head of red-leaf lettuce, in small pieces
• 1 bag of baby spinach
• 3 small oranges peeled
• 4 ounces soft goat cheese crumbled
1. Dressing: Combine shallot, vinegar, juice, mustard, and sugar in a bowl, slowly mix in the oil while whisking. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Salad: Mix the romaine, red-leaf lettuce, and spinach in a bowl and add orange slices. Toss with dressing, sprinkle goat cheese on top
For the main course, Beef Roast with Red Wine Gravy-
• 5lbs. boneless sirloin roast
• 4 large cloves of garlic, sliced
• 2 tbsp. chopped thyme
• 2 tsp. dry mustard
• 2 tsp. onion powder
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. pepper
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 large onion, peeled and cut into wedges
• 4 large springs of thyme
• 3 tbsp. olive oil
• 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
• 1 ½ cups red wine
• 1 ½ cups low sodium beef broth
• Salt and pepper
1. Make small slits all over the roast and stuff garlic into each slit. In a bowl combine chopped thyme, mustard, onion powder, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Rub this mixture all over on pate and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F, scatter onion wedges and thyme springs over the bottom of a large roasting pan. Roast meat for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 325 degrees F and roast until meat thermometer is at least 125 degree F.
3. After the beef is cooked thoroughly, remove and put the meat on a platter and cover loosely with foil and allow to rest.
1. From the juices on the bottom of the beef pan, add 3 tbsp. oil and place pan over burners and heat on medium. Stir in flour and cook until brown (2-3 min). Pour in wine and broth and bring to a boil while mixing from the bottom. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 mins. Strain to get beef chunks out, season with salt and pepper and serve with sliced beef roast.
And for desert, Hot Chocolate Meringue Cake
• 6 egg whites
• 1 tbsp. cream of tartar
• 1 ¼ cup sugar
• 3 tbsp. sifted cocoa
• 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 4 cups of whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line two baking pans with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Slowly add sugar and continue to beat on high speed. Sprinkle in cocoa and cayenne paper and continue beating.
3. Spread the meringue in about 9 inch circles on the lined baking pans. Bake for 3 hours, and let sit cooling for 1 hour.
4. Fill the layer with whipped cream and serve.
Besides these great recipes I’m making the classics; mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn and mixed veggies, etc., and you can’t have Christmas without cutout sugar cookies! The kids still prepare Christmas cookies to surprise their grandparents. 🙂
It is going to be one delicious Christmas!
Merry almost Christmas! What are you planning friends? 🙂